Banana muffins and banana bread are classic go-to recipes for over-ripe bananas, but there are some cooler options. When you’ve got more bananas than you know what to do with, slice them into large pieces and place in freezer-safe bag in the freezer for at least 4 hours (overnight is better). These frozen fruit chunks make creamy and frothy smoothies and a surprisingly similar dairy-free alternative to ice cream.
Place frozen banana pieces in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Turn on the machine and let ‘er rip. Process bananas until they create a frosty, yet creamy puree. Serve immediately or place in a bowl covered with a piece of parchment paper to harden. The re-frozen concoction will have a less creamy texture but is still super refreshing and naturally sweet.
This low-cal goodie leaves room for some toppings. Each of the portions below will add 50 calories per serving:
- 3 vanilla wafer cookies
- 1 sugar cone (whole or broken into pieces)
- 2 teaspoons semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons natural peanut butter
- 1 ½ teaspoons chocolate-hazelnut spread (such as Nutella)
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts
- ½ cup diced mango
- 1 heaping tablespoon granola
- 1 ½ tablespoons shredded coconut
- 2 chocolate covered pretzels
- 2 teaspoons chocolate syrup
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Vanilla extract
- Ground cinnamon
- Freshly grated orange or lime zest
Homemade Potato Skins Made Healthy!
Easy and I even got my pickiest to try them!
Shredded Cheddar (made with 2% &/or skim milk)
Toppings: Steamed Broccoli, Real Bacon Bits (low salt Turkey bacon), Chopped Tomatoes, Peppers
Poke with fork or knife to let potato vent while baking
Bake potatoes in oven at 400 degrees for about an 1 and 15 min or until crisp on outside and soft when poked with fork
Cut potatoes long ways and scoop out inside (put aside)
Place skins on baking sheet and top with your favorite toppings and a little bit of low fat shredded cheese
… this is a great way to get your kids to try some vegetables!
Protein Pancake with Strawberries
1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
4 egg whites
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup sliced strawberries (or half of a banana, sliced)
- Generously coat a skillet with oil spray and heat over medium heat.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the oats, egg whites, sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon.
- Pour mixture into skillet and cook until golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes on each side. (For a moister pancake, cover the skillet while the pancake is cooking.) Top with strawberries or banana slices.
Found step by step instructions at http://moneysavingmom.com/2012/03/homemade-carrot-fries.html
I used olive oil spray instead of coating with olive oil. They turned out great!
It was so simple to make. You just wash the carrots.
Peel and chop off the ends.
And then slice them into “fries”.
Coat with olive oil and salt and bake them on a cookie sheet at 350 degrees for around 30-45 minutes, until a little browned and crispy.
Homemade Carrot Fries
•10 large carrots
•2 Tablespoons Olive oil (try olive oil spray instead)
•1/2 teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Wash and peel carrots. Chop off the ends and slice into “fries”.
Put in a bowl and stir in olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Stir until well coated.
Spread onto a baking sheet and stick in the oven. Bake for 30-45 minutes, until a little browned and crispy. Enjoy!
Makes 2-3 servings.
Gluten Free Barbeque Recipe! See the cookbook below for other great allergy-friendly recipes for families. Make these for your Memorial Day Barbeque!
by Editors of Kiwi Magazine
Allergy-Friendly Food for Families is a trustworthy, comprehensive, practical, and kid-friendly collection of recipes that covers the five most common allergens in kids: wheat, dairy, eggs, nuts, and soy. Each of the 120 recipes is free of at least three of these allergens; most are free of all five.
These fun-size burgers are perfect for party guests. They’re tasty and wholesome but leave room for cake. The tamari and ginger give them a nice extra kick that’s appealing to kids and adults alike.
In a large bowl, combine the ground turkey, bread crumbs, scallions, tamari, garlic, and ginger. Mix well. Shape into 8 small patties.
Heat the canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the patties (in 2 batches, if necessary) and cook, turning once, for about 15 minutes total, until no longer pink. An instantread thermometer should register 165°F when inserted into the patties. These also can be grilled. If grilling, brush the patties with sesame oil before placing on the grill.
Place on cocktail buns and serve with condiments of your choice.
Quick Applesauce Recipe
- 4 medium apple, McIntosh, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar, brown, or more to taste (optional)
- 1 pinch cinnamon, ground
The Easiest Enchiladas Recipe
Corn Tortillas (or whole wheat)
1 cup rotisserie chicken slices (can also be shredded or chopped)
1/2 bag baby spinach leaves
2 cups shredded cheese (cheddar or Mexican blend)(part-skim or 2%)
Jar of enchilada sauce (you can actually use salsa if you don’t have any enchilada sauce handy)
- 1 pound lean ground beef (or lean white meat turkey)
- 1/2 to 1 (1.25-ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 (16-ounce) can refried beans
- 6 (10-inch) flour tortillas
- 1/2 cup salsa (mild)
- 3/4 cup shredded (part skim) cheddar, Monterey Jack, or Mexican cheese blend
- Crumble the ground beef into a large skillet and brown over medium-high heat. When the meat is cooked (about 10 minutes), drain the fat. Add the taco seasoning and water, then stir and simmer the mixture for 3 minutes. Turn off the heat and stir in the refried beans.
- To give the filling a smooth consistency, pour the beef mixture into a blender. With 4 or 5 short pulses, eliminate any large chunks from the mix.
- For each wrap, heat a tortilla in the microwave for 10 seconds. Spread about 1/2 cup of the beef mixture evenly over it, then top with a layer of salsa and cheese. Roll it up and tuck in the ends. (may add diced pepper and kernels of corn inside! )
- Tightly cover each sandwich in plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 24 hours. Cut in half at serving time. Makes 6 roll-ups.(I would bake it to crisp it up and then serve warm)
- For a fun and easy morning meal, try these small-scale egg dishes. Baked in individual muffin cups, they ensure that everyone gets the mix-ins they like.
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup half-and-half
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Assorted mix-ins (such as shredded cheese, diced vegetables, and cooked and chopped bacon, ham, or sausage)
- Grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Heat your oven to 350º F and coat a 6-cup muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Whisk together the eggs, half-and-half, and salt in a medium bowl, then evenly distribute the egg mixture among the muffin cups.
- Add about 2 tablespoons of mix-ins to each cup, then sprinkle on a bit of Parmesan cheese, if you like.
- Bake the frittatas until they are puffy and the edges are golden brown, about 20 to 25 minutes. (If necessary, run a butter knife around the edge of each one to loosen them before removing them from the pan.) Makes 6 mini frittatas.
Chicken Alphabet Soup Recipe
- Prep/Total TIme: 25 min.
- Yield: 10 Servings
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 quarts chicken broth (to cut down on sodium try an unsalted chicken stock)
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked alphabet pasta
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- In a Dutch oven, saute the carrots, celery and onion in oil until tender. Stir in the broth, chicken and thyme. Bring to a boil. Stir in pasta. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until pasta is tender. Stir in parsley. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Mini Taco Bowls
Honey Roasted Root Vegetables
Fruit Salsa Recipe
- Prep/Total Time: 20 min.
- Yield: 24 Servings
- 1 quart fresh strawberries, hulled and chopped
- 2 medium apples, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium kiwifruit, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple jelly
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- Graham crackers
- In a large bowl, combine the strawberries, apples and kiwi. In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, jelly and orange juice; drizzle over fruit and toss gently to coat. Serve with graham crackers. Yield: 6 cups.
Homemade Baked Pita Chips
- 10 -12 flour tortillas (try whole wheat tortillas)
- vegetable oil (or spray)
Cut tortillas into 8 wedges.
Brush or spray baking sheet with oil.
Arrange tortilla wedges in a single layer on the baking sheet and brush or spray lightly with oil.
Sprinkle with seasonings: salt or seasoned salt, chili powder, cinnamon sugar, etc.
Bake at 325 until crisp and lightly browned, approximately 10 minutes.
Barbecue Pulled Chicken, from EatingWell Magazine
Barbecue Pulled Chicken
- 1 8-ounce can reduced-sodium tomato sauce
- 1 4-ounce can chopped green chiles, drained
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon sweet or smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground chipotle chile
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of fat
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Stir tomato sauce, chiles, vinegar, honey, paprika, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, ground chipotle and salt in a 6-quart slow cooker until smooth. Add chicken, onion and garlic; stir to combine.
- Put the lid on and cook on low until the chicken can be pulled apart, about 5 hours.
- Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and shred with a fork. Return the chicken to the sauce, stir well and serve.
TIPS & NOTES
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 1 month.
Grilled Swordfish Steaks with Citrus Salsa
Low Fat Spinach Lasagna
Actual Cooking Time: 1.5 hours
Number of Servings: 6
Nutrition Content: Good Source of Calcium
Meal Type: Entree
1 Egg or equivalent egg substitute
2 cups Low-fat mozzarella shredded
1 jar Spaghetti sauce (32oz)
1 pkg Frozen chopped spinach (10oz)
9 Uncooked lasagna noodles
1 cup Water
1/8 teaspoon Pepper
3/4 teaspoon Oregano
Salt to taste
Simple Strawberry Banana Smoothie for Two!
- 2 small bananas, broken into chunks
1 cup frozen unsweetened strawberries
1 (8 ounce) container low-fat strawberry-banana yogurt
3/4 cup nonfat milk
2. Blend until smooth.
3. Pour into 2 glasses and serve.
Sweet Potato Ghosts
Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup fat-free vanilla pudding
- 4 large egg whites
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda in a medium bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Add flour mixture to pumpkin mixture, stirring just until moist. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Spoon batter into 2 (8 x 4-inch) loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pans on a wire rack, and remove from pans. Cool completely on wire rack.
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2/3 cup chopped reduced-fat ham (about 2 ounces)
- 1/3 cup (about 1 1/2 ounces) shredded reduced-fat extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 2 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add ham; sautée 3 minutes. Remove from heat; cool 5 minutes. Combine remaining ingredients in a large bowl; stir with a whisk. Add ham mixture, stirring with a whisk. Spoon mixture into 24 miniature muffin cups coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until set.
Easy Turkey Meatloaf
1 small onion minced
1 envelope dry onion soup mix
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tablespoons ketchup, chili sauce, salsa or tomato sauce or paste
1/2 cup dry seasoned breadcrumbs
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
salt and pepper as desired
1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
Spaghetti Squash with Sauce & Cheese
Italian Marinated Baked Chicken
Sauteed Spinach & Sweet Potato Fries
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups Italian salad dressing (We like Paul Newman’s)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- salt & pepper
- In a glass 9 x 11 baking dish, place cleaned and trimmed chicken breasts, and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Pour Italian salad dressing over to coat and let marinate in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- After the hour of marinating, turn chicken breasts over and sprinkle evenly with oregano and grated parmesan cheese.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour (or until juices run clear), checking after 45 minutes to make sure they do not get over-cooked.